Have you ever let the thought of sore muscles keep you from working out or trying harder than a workout? With these simple, do-it-yourself lotion bars, you don’t have to worry about the soreness anymore! They contain peppermint oil and ginger to help ease the pain of tired, inflamed muscles and can be used anytime you are experiencing muscular tension, not just after working out. You will need the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup shea butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter
- 2/3 cup beeswax (grated)
- 10 drops peppermint oil (you can purchase this through my Wellness Warrior Shoppe)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
If you don’t have shea butter and cocoa butter on hand, you can easily use 1/2 cup of either/or.
You will also need the following tools:
- Mason jar
- Medium pot
- Measuring cups
- Grater (for beeswax or you can buy pastilles)
After you have all of your tools and ingredients together, you are ready to begin!
- Sterilize all tools by boiling them in water for approximately 20 minutes. This is done to ensure that your lotion bars remain as pure as possible. Take them out of the water and allow to air dry.
- If you were not able to buy beeswax pastilles, grate the beeswax.
- Place a medium pot of boiling water about two inches deep on the stove on high heat.
- Put the coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, and beeswax into mason jar, making the sure the lid is on tight. You do not want any water to enter the jar. Place in pot.
- Use the tongs to lift the jar out of the water and shake it every couple of minutes until the ingredients have liquified. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Remove jar from water and add peppermint oil and ginger.
- Pour into molds and let cool. (You may want to slightly grease the inside with a tiny bit of coconut oil.) They will take a couple of hours to set.
- Remove from mold and package however you would like. You can wrap them in burlap like I did or a plastic bag.
You can use these as often as needed for muscular relief.
These would make really great gifts. Pour them into heart shaped molds for a cute Valentine’s Day gift for your sweetie, a teacher, workout buddy or anyone!
Do you make anything like this? Let me know and I may feature you on my blog!
Thanks to EverydayPaleo.com for the recipe idea! You can find it here.