Brrrr! It’s so cold outside today across much of the country, with parts of the south experiencing temps in the 30′s. If you’re ready to curl up under layers of blankets next to a nice fire, then you would LOVE this chili for dinner tonight to warm you up.
This savory dish with a hint of sweetness is so delicious and healthy too! Full of protein to help keep blood sugar levels steady and build lean muscle, this meal also helps to keep you full longer. Just one serving has over 100 percent of the daily recommended amounts of vitamin C and iron which both help to support the immune system.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 45 minutes, Serves: 4
- 1 pound grass fed, organic lean ground bison or beef
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 fresh tomatoes, pureed
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot on medium heat, add ground beef, salt, and half of the chili powder, cooking until beef is almost brown. Add peppers and onions, cooking another 5 minutes or until beef is completely brown. Drain grease from the mixture.
- In a food processor, add tomatoes and puree until smooth. Add this mixture, remaining chili powder, garlic, and spices to pot then reduce heat to low and simmer for at least thirty minutes. Serve immediately.
As you can see, it’s pretty easy to make and a nutritious, filling dinner is ready in under an hour. I like to make a double batch and have it for lunch or dinner another day. Another option is to freeze leftovers.
If you use all fresh, organic ingredients, this meal breaks down to less than $3 per serving depending on where you live. In my area, I was able to make it for just about $2.50 per serving.
I would love to see pics of your chili and hear how yours turned out when you make this recipe! Please share.