Have you ever stopped and thought about how taking a shower improves your health? Showering is probably just another thing to do, maybe even a chore but water can be very cleansing and even transformative.
Have you ever stepped into a shower stressed and stepped out of it feeling renewed and ready to take on the day?
I often feel like I can practically watch my troubles go right down the drain with the dirty water. It just feels so amazing and no matter what mood I’m in beforehand, I always come out feeling better, energized and transformed as if the curtain closing and opening again has somehow changed me.
Water is very calming, especially when I’m on the beach….perhaps it’s because of good memories from vacations, the white noise it provides or maybe the feeling of safety since we all began life in water?
Maybe it’s just one of those God-given blessings to enjoy that needs no explanation. Regardless, there are some very simple things you can do while taking a shower to not only help to relax you, but to help promote your health as well.
Every time you shower, try these easy tips to get the maximum benefits from your typical routine:
- Install a shower head that removes chlorine and chloramine from your water. If you are unable to find one, a whole house filtration system usually has a filter that will remove both of them. These chemicals are toxic and have been shown to increase your risk of bladder, kidney, and rectal cancers. There are many other contaminants as well that can have harmful effects.
- Practice skin brushing. It helps to stimulate blood flow, remove dead cells (which can be adding extra weight) and stimulate the lymphatic system which is kind of like your built-in garbage disposal system.
- Shower time can also be a great time to do oil pulling (instructional video here), just remember to keep a trash can nearby as you don’t want the oil to go down your drain.
- Use only natural soaps and hair products. Lavender and chamomile are calming and can be found in many health care products that have only natural ingredients. (Dr. Bronner’s products are excellent!)
- Shower in warm water, but end it with a cool splash to help seal moisture into your skin, improve your hair’s appearance and also increase your circulation. Hot water can dry the skin because it strips it of its natural, protective oils.
- After your shower, pat dry gently and use coconut oil to help further seal in moisture without the toxic chemicals found in most lotions. Synthetic chemicals are absorbed through your skin into your blood stream where they can do damage to the body.
While there’s not really a wrong way to shower, by adding in these steps you can have a more cleansing and healthful experience.